Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, March 10, 2009

    Humbled

    Saturday's race in Albany was a very humbling experience. It taught me that no matter how good of shape you are in, no matter how mentally prepared you are for a race, you must prepare for the worst. I thought I was prepared for the worst, but I quickly realized the errors of that line of thought around 2.5 miles into the race when I felt the symptoms of a need to take a pit-stop and hit the toilet. This is something that I've never faced mid-race. Obviously I continued to run, but I became more and more aware of the amount of energy it was taking to keep the poop in. I also continued to slip further and further from the pack, which dwindled from seven to three (Ben Hall, Jed Edwards, Andrew Hege). Finally, just before the 11th mile marker, I understood that I could make it no further, and I hit up a nice thick tree and, shall we say, popped a squat. I crossed the finish line in 1:24:2x for sixth place overall and fourth Montreat runner across the line. Wilbourn took the win and Hege fell off the pack and I passed him around 9.5 miles in. Wilbourn was the only one to hit a qualifying standard in the 100% humidity and 50 degree temps--a bit warmer then we are used to here in Montreat this time of year!

    I would love a second shot at the Half. I feel that I am certainly fit right now, and an opportunity to race when everything--or even most things--go right (instead of everything going wrong), because I certainly don't think that 84 minutes and change is a reflection of my fitness level. I'm not certain that another opportunity to race the distance will come, however, so I must assume that one will not come and move on, changing my focus to my next race.

    That next race comes next Thursday, March 19, in Orlando, Florida. We're taking a road trip to Orlando for the Disney World Wide World of Sports Track and Field Invitational, and I'm racing the 5,000 on Thursday and the 1,500 on Friday. The focus, obviously, is on the 5,000, and I'm antsy to have a good showing in that event. Whatever happens in the 1,500 is just icing on the cake. I've been told that the Disney meet is a very well put together event and a load of fun. We'll be spending a few days in Daytona Beach at the beginning of the week, relaxing and doing a service project or two, so I am looking forward to a restful time in the sun of Florida.

    2 comments:

    1. I hate Disney. Go find some of my old teammates while your in Orlando.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Disney sounds fun! Sometimes, it takes a humbling experience to really learn..

      ReplyDelete